Donating to SPU |   053 491 0000 | |   Vacancies View current jobs |   Employee Portal

First Year Students Frequently Asked Questions

Navigating through your first-year need not be a challenge, to assist in a smooth transition into our vibrant, learning-centred university, view the Frequently Asked Questions below:

Question: How do I apply for residence at Sol Plaatje University?

Answer: All residence applications are done online, on the Ienabler portal, which is also used for academic application.

Question: What are the eligibility criteria for residence?

Answer: Admitted to study at Sol Plaatje University.

Reside outside Kimberley.

Question: Is on-campus residence mandatory for first-year students?

Answer: No, but the university prioritizes the accommodation of all qualifying first years in the on-campus residences.

Question: What types of accommodation are available at Sol Plaatje University?

Answer: On-campus accommodation.

Accredited-off campus accommodation.

Question: What are the costs associated with living in a university residence?

Answer: From R59 997 to R69 661 (Changes annually as determined by Higher Education).

Question: Are meals provided, and what meal plans are available?

Answer: Meals are available (you can book a meal at the dining Hall or buy the meals at the dining halls).

Question: Is there a specific move-in date for new students?

Answer: Yes, depending on the registration’s dates released by the University and published on the website.

Question: What amenities and facilities are available in the university residence?

Answer: Amenities: Washing machines and dryers, microwaves, and fridge.

Facilities: study spaces, gaming rooms, sports fields.

Question: Are there any specific rules and regulations for residents?

Answer: Yes, all students that are registered for residence are given the rules before moving in

Question: Are there any security measures in place for the safety of residents?

Answer: Yes. Safety and security are our priority for our student’s security is available 24/7. We also have green routes.

Question: What support services are available to residents (academic, emotional, etc.)?

Answer: Psycho-social and academic support is available for students by being assigned to a peer mentor, peer educator and tutors. The health and wellness office are also available to provide support to students.

Question: How much is the residence deposit for self-funded students?

Answer: R 6000

Question: What is the process of residence cancellation for both off-campus and on campus?

Answer: Residence cancellation form must be completed and submitted to the residence office to action cancellation.

Off-campus movement/ cancellation form must be completed and submitted to the landlord and submit to the AOCA office.

Question: Does the residence cater for students with disabilities?

Answer: Yes, our residences have rooms to cater for students with disabilities.

Student Life and Development: Arts and Culture

Question: Are there Arts and Culture space in the University?

Answer: Yes, we have Choir, Drama, Debate and social poetry and you can find it at the Division of Student Affairs for more information email

Question: How to become a member of the SPU Choir?

Answer: You need to love singing and be passionate about it and also be dedicated in music. for more information email

Question: Want to be part of SPU Drama group?

Answer: Be passionate about acting and drama and be dedicated to theatrical performances for more information email

Question: Want to be part of the SPU Debate team?

Answer: Come to the Division of Student Affairs

Email: Student

Question: Do you celebrate culture here in the university?

Answer: We celebrate the culture here on campus and it’s something we pride ourselves with in terms of diversity.

Clubs and Societies

Question: How can I get exposed to campus life?

Answer: Participating in Clubs and Societies is one of the best ways to be exposed to campus life.

Question: How can I join a student club or organization?

Answer: You can join any Club or organisation by contacting its leadership or email or visit the Division of Student Affairs Moroka Hall of Residence.

Question: How can I start my student club?

Answer: Once the affiliation process is opened at the start of the academic year, you can start your club by submitting the following:

  1. Statement of Intent (vision, mission, and the aims and objectives of the structure of formation).
  2. Plan of Action of the Formation, indicating its resource needs as well.
  3. Draft Constitution
  4. List of members (at least eighty (80) signed-up members). Only registered students of SPU may be members of student formations.
  5. Completed application forms.
  6. The application form must also include the names and signatures of a minimum of six students willing to serve on the Formation’s founding committee.

Question: What are the benefits of involvement in Clubs and Societies?

Answer: The benefits of being involved in Clubs and Societies include the following:

Holistic development as a student,

being a socially responsible student, making a difference in the community,

building lasting networks and

the opportunity to participate in the Division of Student Affairs (DSA) Awards.

Peer Mentors

Question: What is a peer mentor?

Answer: A peer mentor is an experienced, knowledgeable, and in most instances a more senior student who provides guidance, support, and assistance to first-time university students to facilitate personal and academic growth.

Question: How can I become a Peer Mentor?

Answer: Peer Mentors are recruited through an open call for volunteers that are advertised on our social media platforms and through the Student Affairs News mailers, however, you must engage with university programmes from your first year as this assists you to be better prepared for becoming a Peer Mentor

Question: How are mentors and mentees matched?

Answer: Matching is based on academic interests as we try to align the mentor to a mentee studying the same qualification and residence to make it easy to relate to each other and meet regularly.

Question: What types of support do peer mentors provide?

Answer: Peer mentors offer academic advice, they share study strategies, provide information about campus resources, and offer general guidance on adjusting to university life.

Question: How often do mentors and mentees typically meet?

Answer: The frequency of meetings varies and depends on the needs and preferences of both the mentor and mentee as each Peer Mentor has individual programmes to do with their respective mentees. Some programs have regular scheduled meetings, while others have a more flexible approach.

Question: Is mentorship only academic, or does it include personal support?

Answer: The mentorship programme is holistic and is comprised of academic and personal support, to assist mentees in navigating challenges both inside and outside the lecture rooms.

Question: Can I choose my mentor?

Answer: The mentorship programme is designed in a structured matching process to assist mentees in being aligned with mentors that they have academic similarities with and also to build academic and social cohesion, so mentors cannot select their mentees.

Question: How long is the mentorship programme?

Answer: The mentorship programme is for the duration of the academic year that a student enters university for the first-time in.

Question: Is mentorship mandatory, or can I choose to participate?

Answer: It is compulsory for all first-time university entering students to participate in the mentorship programme.

Question: How can I provide feedback on the mentorship program?

Answer: We conduct surveys and evaluations to obtain feedback from both mentors and mentees. We also welcome direct communication with program coordinators when needed, they can be reached through

Career Services

Question: What resources and tools does Career Services provide to help students explore different career paths?

Answer: Career Services offers a range of resources and tools to help students to explore different career paths to enable them to make informed decisions for their future.

These services are:

Career Counseling.

CV and Cover Letter Assistance.

Mock interviews to assist students in preparing and practicing for interview sessions so that they improve their confidence.

Career workshops and seminars.

Networking events in the form of Career fairs or exhibitions.

Online resources in the form of that provide information about different career paths, job market trends, and employer expectations.

Financial Literacy.

Question: How can Career Services assist in building a strong CV and preparing for job interviews?

Answer: CV and cover letter writing workshops, attending these workshops is essential as they cover the basics of structuring a CV, choosing appropriate content, and tailoring it to specific industries or job applications.

One-on-one CV review and counselling sessions cover the basics of structuring a resume, choosing appropriate content, and tailoring it to specific industries. Templates and guides are also provided to help students create effective CVs to ensure that students keep up with industry standards.

 To prepare for interviews we offer interview workshops, mock interviews, etiquette, and behavioural training, and post-interview reflection sessions.

Question: Are there networking events or career fairs that are organized by Career Services and how can one participate?

Answer: We host networking events and career fairs and for more information visit the SPU website or the Career Services offices and keep up to date with the events calendar and email notifications.

Question: How can one contact the Career Services Office?

Answer One-on-one consultation is available by appointment and is scheduled for Tuesdays and Fridays from 12h00.

Use the email to communicate with the Career Service Officer

Question: Where are Career Services located?

Answer: Career Services is located on Central Campus in Moroka Hall of Residences at the Division of Student Affairs block, second-floor office C209.

Health and Wellness

Question: What are the services provided by the Health and Wellness Centre?

Answer: Health and wellness render Primary healthcare, Psychology, and social worker services

Question: What are the operating hours of Health and Wellness?

Answer: Monday-Friday 08:00-16:30


Public holidays-Closed

Question: Who can I contact in cases of emergency and the clinic is closed?

Answer: Call ER24@084 124

Question: What is the contact number of Health and wellness?

Answer: 053 491 0901

Question: What do I need to do to access the services at Health and wellness?

Answer: You need to book an appointment at, our admin will book an appointment for you that is suitable to accommodate your class schedule

Question: What are the services that are provided by the Primary health care Sister?

Answer: Management and treatment of infectious diseases, Contraceptives, Voluntary counselling and testing, Chronic ailments management e.g. High blood pressure, Diabetes, Epilepsy etc., Screening services e.g. STI’s, TB, Breast examination, NCD’s, Pregnancy test etc., Wound care, Acute ailments e.g. Cold, Flu, earache etc., Emergency assessment and referrals

Question: What are the services that are provided by the Psychologist?

Answer: Individual Psychotherapy-Psychological counselling for a variety of personal and academic related problems e.g. Difficulty adjusting to student life, depression, anxiety, grief, trauma, relationship concerns, issues related to sexuality, self-harming, low self-esteem.

Academic support and advocacy- the student counsellor works to assist students with disabilities e.g. extra time concessions.

Therapeutic counselling-this includes various workshops such as learning styles, self-discovery, stress management.

Question: What are the services that are provided by the social worker?

Answer: Implementing appropriate social support intervention strategies and techniques:

Family related matters, Sexual Gender based violence intervention and strategies, Emergency Social support needs assessment, Pregnancy Counselling, Pregnancy Counselling, Substance abuse support and referrals, Counselling, Welfare Services e.g. Laptop requests, One meal per day, Hygiene pack and social relief fund.

Question: What other programs are offered by Health and Wellness?

Answer: Psychosocial wellbeing

Wellness Wednesdays

Support groups

Recruitment and Selection of Peer educators and wellness warriors

Training of the Peer educators and Wellness warriors

First things first-Education and testing of HIV and screening of other ailments

Substance abuse Workshop

Mental Health Workshop

Question: What are the students that works as volunteers to assist on running the different programs at Health and wellness?

Answer: Peer educators and Wellness warriors


Question: What sporting codes do you offer

Answer: Netball, Hockey, Football, Rugby, Cricket, Athletics, Chess, Volleyball, Golf, Aerobics, Table Tennis, Tennis, Cheerleading, Basketball, Dance sport

Question: Where can we get more information about Sports at SPU?

Answer: The Sports Office

Senior Manager Sport: Ms Elmien Cloete

Sport Officer: Ms. Lusinda Bowers

Sport Officer: Mr. Tshepo Masoeu

Question: I am interested in joining a particular code. Do I need to have prior experience?

Answer: No, you do not need experience

Question: Do you cater for all levels?

Answer: Yes, from beginner to advance athletes

Question: When during the day does training sessions take place

Answer: Training takes place between 17h00 and 19h00

Question: Where are the training venues?

Answer: Most training facilities are at the South Campus which you will get to know during orientation week.

Question: Are there sport bursaries available.

Answer: Yes, the Sport officers will provide the information available on sport bursaries

Question: When are try outs taking place?

Answer: Trials for the various sporting codes usually take place between January and February of the new academic year.

Question: Is there transport available if I stay far away from the training grounds?

Answer: Yes, transport is available to take student athletes home after training sessions or matches in the evenings.

Question: Does the SPU Sport Clubs participate in leagues?

Answer: Yes, all codes that are affiliated to a Federation in the Northern Cape participate in the league.


Question: I can’t login to my email address – who can I contact?

Answer: Please contact SPU IT Department in Central Campus

Question: I can’t login to Moodle – who can I contact?

Answer: Please contact CTLPD Enquiries

Question: How do I get my proof of registration?

Answer: Email should be sent to

Question: How do I get a statement of account?

Answer: Student Finance Enquiries

Question: What is the process of changing courses?

Answer: The process starts with completing the change of qualification form which is obtainable from the School Registrar

Question: Who is my academic advisor?

Answer: Ms Letlotlo Seane

Question: I took a course at another college or university. Can I get credit for it?

Answer: The process starts with completing the exemption of credit application form which is obtainable from the School Registrar

Question: Where can I find more information about my course textbooks?

Answer: Please write to the School Registrar

Question: What if I my student card is not working?

Answer: Please contact SPU Access Control

Question: How long does it take to study towards a BEd degree?

Answer: It will take you four full years to complete a BEd degree

Question: Can one specialize in only one teaching subject?

Answer: A student can specialize in up to five teaching subjects. Depending on the degree that you are enrolled for, you could specialize in two, three, four or five teaching subjects.

Question: Are there bursaries available for teaching?

Answer: Yes, there are various sources of funding available including FUNZA LUSHAKA and NSFAS. FUNZA LUSHAKA is a bursary scheme managed by the Department of Basic Education specifically meant for teaching students who specialize in mathematics and science related subjects. Kindly check these different websites for application dates.

Question: Will I be required to do teaching practice during the course of my degree?

Answer: Yes, teaching practice is meant to give teaching students exposure to the classroom context. All teaching students will be placed at schools in order to observe experienced teachers teaching. From 3rd and 4th year onwards, you will offer lessons yourself to learners.

Question: How to I decide my specializing subjects?

Answer: Your specializing subjects are based on the subjects you passed in grade 12.  In other words, if you want to specialize in pure Mathematics, you would have needed to do pure Mathematics at school.

Question: Which grades does BEd Foundation Phase train you to teach?

Answer: BEd Foundation Phase trains you to teach grades R, 1, 2 & 3.

Question: Which grades does BEd Intermediate Phase train you to teach?

Answer: Intermediate phase at school refers to grades 4 to 6. If you do a BEd Intermediate Phase, you will teach grade 4 to 6 learners.

Question: What does BEd (SP) Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Phase (FET) refer to?

Answer: Senior Phase refers to grades 8 and 9 teaching. Further Education and Training Phase refers to grades 10, 11 and 12 teaching. Therefore, if you pursue a BEd SP & FET degree you would be in a position to teach subjects to students at high school.

Question: Would I be in a position to start teaching immediately after completing my studies?

Answer: Yes, most teaching students get employed very fast after they have completed their degree. They therefore start teaching immediately the following year after completing their degree.

Question: What are the requirements to complete my degree?

Answer: You would graduate after four years only if you have passed all your modules/subjects at university in 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year. If you have any module outstanding at the end of your final year, you cannot graduate and need to return for a 5th year. Always ask guidance from administrative staff during registration to make sure you are registered for all modules in a particular year.

Question: Which modules will allow me to do a PGCE?

Answer: In order to qualify for a PGCE you must register for a minimum of two (2) School Subjects. School subjects are subjects that are taught at School level either on intermediate phase or senior phase. The school subjects that can be selected with the BA Degree are: – History – Geography – Afrikaans – English – Setswana – IsiXhosa

Question: How do I apply for NSFAS?

Answer: Applications for NSFAS are done online. Follow the steps and ensure that you upload all the required certified documents when you apply. If you experience any challenges, contact SPU Student funding office on ALWAYS indicate your student number in all communication.

Question: What does NSFAS pay for?

Answer: NSFAS covers all study programmes of registered public higher education institutions in South Africa. If your NSFAS is approved it will cover tuition fees, book fees, residence fees, meal allowances. NSFAS will only cover you for a maximum of 4 years of your studies. NSFAS only covers one (1) undergraduate qualification. This means, if you have completed a diploma course and was funded by NSFAS then you will not receive funding for a second undergraduate qualification. NSFAS does not cover postgraduate qualifications.

Question: I do not know who to contact at SPU if I am unsure about anything related to my student financial account or NSFAS payment.

Answer: Kindly email Please provide your full names and student number when you send an email. It is preferable to communicate using only your SPU registered email address. Your email communication to our student funding office should indicate a detailed description of your problem to ensure that is directed to the relevant person to assist you with your issue. Students are urged to first try and log onto their NSFAS portals to determine issue related to statuses and appeals. Some issues can only be resolved by contacting NSFAS directly and provide them with your I.D number and NSFAS registered reference number. Always have this at hand when contacting NSFAS.

Question: What will my degree allow me to do?

Answer: This will depend on your choice of specialisations (the majors / elective you chose on first year level). It is advisable that you attend the schooled academic orientation programme for first year students where we discuss career trajectories and postgraduate studies related to each discipline on offer at the School of Humanities. See details below.

Question: I am not happy with the majors / electives that I chose when I registered for the first time. What can I do to change this?

Answer: There is module change periods for each semester of the academic year. Module change for all first semester modules ends 01 March 2024. For all second semester modules, the module change period is from 15 July – 26 July 2024. There is a form you need to complete. It is advisable to first have discussions with the academic advisor, Mr Brendan Thomas, to discuss the request to change modules to ensure that what you changing to aligns with your future plans and your understanding of the various electives. Contact Ms Mentor to schedule an appointment on The School will also host a second orientation session that will provide you with an overview of all the electives in the school together with study and career path trajectory.

Question: I want to cancel my studies; how do I do this?

Answer: There are two different processes when a student wishes to cancel studies. Option A: Cancelation of Studies Cancelation of studies means that you are cancelling your studies entirely and you will need to reapply for admission to study at SPU. Students may not cancel studies a MONTH BEFORE the examination period or the close of the semester. However, if the request for cancelation is based on medical grounds or any legal reason the final decision on the approval of the cancelation remains the discretion of the University Registrar. If the cancelation is approved, you are still liable for a percentage of the year’s fees based on the date of cancelation. Cancelation fees are calculated as follows: – Cancelation after 31 March 2024, you are liable for 25% of the annual fees (Sem. 1) – Cancelation after 30 April 2024, you are liable for 50% of the annual fees (Sem. 1) – Cancelation after 31 August 2024, you are liable for 75% of the annual fees (Sem. 2) – Cancelation after 30 September 2024, you are liable for 100% of the annual fees. (Sem 2)

If you were funded by any entity such as NSFAS, you must liaise with the respective funder whether they will continue funding you if you wish to reapply and whether they will cover the fees based on the time of your cancelation for the year. If you were not funded and you have not yet fully paid for the SPU Issued laptop, you must return the laptop with the cancelation. However, if you were funded and you have fully paid, then there is no need to return the laptop.

OPTION B: Interruption of Studies: An interruption of studies means you do not cancel your enrolment with SPU entirely; you basically pause it for the academic year and return next year to continue. There would then not be a need to reapply for admission. However, please note the following related to an application for an interruption of studies: – Based on your reason for an interruption of studies you must submit supporting evidence. For example, if your reason is medically related medical reason, you must submit a medical letter. – Like a cancelation of studies, if you were funded by any entity such as NSFAS, you must liaise with the respective funder whether they will continue funding you when you return to SPU the following year to continue your studies and whether they will cover the fees based on the time of your interruption of studies. – Students may not interrupt studies a MONTH BEFORE the examination period or the close of the semester. However, if the request for an interruption of studies is based on medical grounds or any legal reason the final decision on the approval of the cancelation remains the discretion of the University Registrar. The final decision on all applications for cancelation of studies and interruption of studies remains the discretion of the University Registrar. Kindly note that an application does not automatically mean approval. The outcome for each application will be communicated to students.

Question: I am pregnant, how does it affect my studies:

Answer: Unfortunately, SPU does not have a maternity leave policy for students. Students who fall pregnant have 2 options: Option 1: Apply for an interruption of studies and continue studies later. Option 2: If the student chooses to continue studies and a lecturer has sit down (Face to face) assessments scheduled, they (the student) should avail themselves for all sit-down assessments. Lecturers are not compelled to give concession. However, if the lecturer is willing to assist the student, it remains the discretion of the lecturer and any arrangements made with 1 lecturer of a module will not be imposed on another lecturer. The student would therefore need to have arrangements in place with ALL lecturers for modules she is registered for. As callous has it sounds, it is unfortunately the situation at all institutions. The only policy at SPU regarding pregnancy is that students must vacate SPU residence at 7 months of pregnancy.

Question: I want to change programmes:

Answer: Programme changes should be submitted to the school you wish to change to. Please note that the school makes the decision based on availability of space within the programme you wish to change to as well as whether you qualify for the programme you wish to change to. It is also advisable to contact your funder (if you are funded) on whether the change would be permitted.

Question: I want to transfer to another university:

Answer: There is no formal process for transfers from academic administration, which means there are no forms you need to complete from the School’s side for the transfer. You will need to cancel your studies at Sol Plaatje University if you intend on leaving mid-year / midsemester. However, if you are completing the year with SPU, then there is no need to formally cancel studies. If you have applied at another institution and you have been accepted, you simply do not return to SPU to continue your academic registration for the continuing years at SPU. Kindly note the following: 1. It remains your responsibility to inform your funder of the change of institution. This is to ensure that the funder does not send the fees for your studies to SPU. Additionally, this is also to ensure that the funder permits the change of institution. 2. If you complete the academic year with SPU with the intention of not returning, kindly inform my office by 10 January 2023. 3. Changing from SPU to another institution does not mean that you will automatically be credited / exempted for modules passed at SPU. You will need to liaise with new institution on their processes and policies for exemption of credits for modules passed.

Question: Can you collect a laptop without a student card?

Answer: Laptop will only be issued when you present a student card and proof of registration

Question: How do I report a technical issue or request IT support?

Answer: Email to or call 053 491 0495 for all ICT related issues.

Question: Does my laptop have a warranty?

Answer: Yes, laptops carry a 3 year warranty

Question: How often should I change my password?

Answer: Passwords can be changed at the ICT offices. Password must be changed every 3 months.

Question: Where do I report for theft and loss of laptops?

Answer: Theft and loss of laptops must be reported to Campus Security at Campus Control, from there they must report it to finance.

Question: What is SPU IT support office hours?

Answer: 8H00 – 16H30 (Monday to Friday)

Question: What are the roles and responsibilities of ICT department?

Answer: To support staff and students with all ICT related issues.

Question: How can I access university software resources from my personal computer?

Answer: ICT will only load the necessary application on your personal laptop.

Question: Can ICT department assist with printing for student assignments?

Answer: No, there is student printing facility established for students for printing purpose

Question: If my machine is damaged, how long will it take for it to be repaired?

Answer: It depends on the severity of issue. Loaned laptops are available for 3rd party hardware repairs and this option is available only if there is stock and with approval from the Manager: ICT Customer Support.

Question: What is academic orientation?

Answer: Academic orientation is a programme aimed at providing awareness about higher education expectations and equipping students with the necessary skills to transition into higher education effectively.

Question: What are the services offered in academic orientation?

Answer: 1. Basic laptop operation

  1. Introduction to Learning and Teaching Methodology
  2. Introduction to the Learning management system
  3. Self-directed learning
  4. Student support resources

Question: Why should I complete the academic orientation?

Answer: 1. Provide tools to navigate higher education.

  1. Understand the institutional policies and expectations.
  2. Guide the learning management system.

Question: Where do I get support on Academic Orientation?

Answer: Academic Advisors: Email:

E-Learning Help Desk: Email:

Face-to-face support: Central campus, Academic Building, Ground Floor, and Room 216

Ground Floor, and Room 216.

Question: Where can I search for library books and journal articles?

Answer: You can search for library books and journal articles on the Primo discovery tool which is accessible through the library website.

Question: What are the library’s opening hours?

Answer: Monday – Thursday: 8:00 – 21:00.

Friday: 8:00 – 16:30

Saturday: 9:00 – 13:00

Closed on Sundays and public holidays.

The library has a 24-hour dedicated study space on the ground floor.

Question: What time can I find and consult with my School information Librarian?

Answer: All information librarians are located on the 1st floor of the library.

Available: Monday to Friday from 08:00 am – 16:30 pm.

Question: How do I get access to the library and borrow books?

Answer: Your student card will grant you access to the library and will be required at circulation for borrowing of books.

Question: Where can I find print books in the library?

Answer: You can find print books on the 3rd floor in the library.

Question: Where can I find novels to read in the library? 

Answer: The library has displayed novels on the ground, first, and third floors in the library

Question: Where can I find my School’s Library guide / Libguide?

Answer: You can find your School’s Library guide/ Libguide on the Library Website under the Teaching and Learning Support tab.

Question: How many books can I borrow from the library?

Answer: Undergraduate students can borrow 6 books from the library for a period of 14 days.

Question: Does the library keep prescribed books?

Answer: Yes, the prescribed books are kept in the short loan/reserve section.

Question: What happens if I lose a library book?

Answer: The student must see the Senior Library Assistant and will receive an invoice for replacement costs and admin fees.

Latest News

Follow us on social media