Sol Plaatje University (SPU) was established in 2013, commenced its academic programmes in 2014 and plays an important role, both locally, in the Northern Cape, and nationally.
The University Council governs the University in terms of the Higher Education Act of 1977, as amended, as well as the SPU Institutional Statute.
The University Council has the fiduciary responsibility and duty of governance and policy making and is ultimately responsible for determining the University’s strategic direction.
Nominations to serve on the SPU Council
Organisations, interest groups and individuals are hereby invited to nominate suitable candidates, from the Northern Cape, in particular, to serve as external members on the SPU Council for a four (4) year term. It is important to note that Council members are not employees of the University and do not receive salaries. Council members do, however, receive a minimal honoraria for their service.
It will be advantageous for persons nominated to be familiar with the Higher Education Sector and nominees should preferably have the following:
- A Tertiary qualification
- High-level of expertise and experience in one or more of the fields applicable to the work of University Councils (in this instance, with particular reference, but not limited to, the following):
- Community Development
- Infrastructure Development
- Information Communication Technology
- General Health
- Strategy Development
- Agriculture and
Nominations must be:
- in writing and accompanied by a Curriculum Vitae of the nominee and his/her acceptance of the nomination, as per the nomination forms which can be downloaded here.
- inclusive of a motivation on how the nominee would contribute to the role of the SPU Council, as it pertains to governance and oversight in the Higher Education Sector of the above (or any other) fields; and
- submitted to the University Registrar at Registrar@spu.ac.za by no later than Friday, 7 May 2021.