SOCIAL RELIEF FUND FOR STUDENTS
The Sol Plaatje University Senior Management Team has created a social relief fund for students who experience unanticipated financial hardship for which they have no other recourse for funding.
The Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Professor Andrew M Crouch, will contribute R20,000 (twenty thousand rand) of his personal funds as seed funding to this fund. His contribution to this fund is an expression of his commitment to ensuring that students at SPU are able to participate in and complete their studies without the additional stress of economic emergencies.
- A registered student at Sol Plaatje University (SPU)
- A student cannot access the fund more than twice in one year (January to December); up to a maximum of R10,000 (ten thousand rand) in one year
- Repeat applicants must be given financial advice
- This funding is not meant to replace or supplement existing financial aid
- The funding does not have to be repaid by the student.
The fund covers the following: (this list is not all inclusive)
- Personal hygiene products
- Emergency travel
- Food grant
- Medical emergency not covered by a medical aid
- Emergency medical necessities not covered by a medical aid
- Replacement of essential personal belongings lost as a result of theft or circumstances beyond the control of the student (i.e. fire or natural disaster)
The fund does not cover the following:
- Payment of fees
- Payment of fines
- Repayment of personal loans
- Payment of non-essential bills (retail stores, cell phone, credit card)
- Recreational needs
- Mobile devices, airtime and data
- Medical aid fees
- Students should complete an online application form and include supporting documents
- The completed application is then automatically sent to the Office of the University Registrar
- The application is vetted for eligibility
- Applications are submitted to the Social Relief Fund Review Committee for approval
- Once approved, the Secretariat of the Social Relief Fund Review Committee sends the approved application to the Finance Department for release of the funds and informs the relevant department of the outcome of the review
- The student is informed by the Office of the University Registrar of the assistance being granted
- Funding is made available to the student
The University Council will make an initial amount available for the fund and further supported by contributions from De Beers, thereafter, the fund will be augmented by the following suggested donations:
- A personal contribution from the 2nd Vice-Chancellor and Principal
- Corporate donations
- Contributions from Alumni (voluntary monthly electronic donation)
- Contributions from Staff and Students (voluntary monthly deduction from their salary where applicable)
- Beneficiaries of the fund will be encouraged to contribute to the fund when they are salaried alumni (monthly electronic donation)
To apply for funding, students must complete the below application form and submit the required supporting documents.
Please note, applications without supporting documentation WILL NOT be sent.
The fund will be supported by donations from corporate entities.
SPU alumni, staff and students are invited to make voluntary contributions to the fund either as a once-off donation or a monthly payment.
A tax certificate will be issued upon receipt of your contribution.
Donations to the fund can be made into the following University bank account:
Account Name: SOL PLAATJE UNIVERSITY
Account Type: PUBLIC SECTOR CHEQUE ACCOUNT
Account Number: 62432518978
Branch Code: 230102
Branch Name: KIMBERLEY, C.P. 263
Swift Code: FIRNZAJJ
Reference: STUDENT SOCIAL RELIEF FUND
- No CommentsTo the SPU Community In his address to the nation …Read More »
- No CommentsSol Plaatje University does not condone any form of Gender …Read More »
- No CommentsThe Inaugural Meeting of the SPU Convocation will take place …Read More »
- No CommentsTo mark the beginning of the 16 Days of Activism, …Read More »
- No CommentsYou are required to urgently update your mobile phone number …Read More »